Solid Mechanics, Elasticity, Seismology
Contact No.: +91-7087-960-125
Satish Kumar sharma is Associate Professor of Mathematics, at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala. He did his doctorate from NIT Hamirpur. He joined Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology in 2010 as assistant professor. His area of research is applied mathematic. He has guided 3 Ph.D. students and has experience of about 20 years of teaching in engineering institutions.
STUDY OF SURFACE AND LAMB TYPE WAVE PROPAGATION IN THE CONTEXT OF SIZE DEPENDENT PIEZOELECTRICITY
Piezoelectric actuators and sensors have been widely used in damage detection of various structures including beams, plates and pipes due to their unique sensing and actuating properties. Researchers have also shown that closed-form solutions accounting for the electro-mechanical coupling of piezoelectric plates, laminates or patches are difficult to obtain especially for complicated boundary conditions. In this project analytical expression for the dispersion equation guiding the surface waves and Lamb will be obtained and the effects of various parameters like internal length scale parameter, dielectric strength on the phase velocity will be examined. Obtained results will be useful for the persons/industries involved in the similar kind of experimental studies.
Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB)
Membership of Professional Institutions, Associations,Societies
- Member BOS , GNE Ludhiana
List of Publications
List of research publications in SCI ( SCIE )
S. No., Author(s), Publication Year, Title of Paper, Journal Name, Volume/page numbers, Publisher Name, Impact Factor(JCR 2014) , ISSN/ ISBN No
- 1, J.N. Sharma S.Kumar and Y.D. Sharma , 2008, Propagation of Rayleigh Surface Waves in Microstretch Thermoelastic Continua Under Inviscid Fluid Loadings., Thermal Stresses 31: 1, 18 —39 (SCI journal, Taylor and Francis, 2.626, 0149-5739
- 2, J. N. Sharma and S.Kumar , 2009, Lamb waves in micropolar thermoelastic solid plates immersed in liquid with varying temperature, Meccanica. 44: 305–319, Springer, 2.153, 0025-6455
- 3, S.Kumar , J. N. Sharma, and Y. D. Sharma, 2011, Generalized thermoelastic waves in microstrech plates loaded with fluid of varying temperature, International Journal of Applied Mechanics. 3: 563–586, World Scientific, 2.449, 1758-8251
- 4, A. Verma, R. Jiwari and S.Kumar , 2014, A numerical scheme based on differential quadrature method for numerical simulation of nonlinear Klein-Gordon equation, , International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat & Fluid Flow. 24 (7): 1390-1404, IOP Science, 1.296, 0031-8949
- 5, V. Sharma, S.Kumar , 2014, Velocity dispersion in an elastic plate with microstructure: effects of characteristic length in a couple stress model., Meccanica, 49: 1083–1090, Springer, 2.153, 0025-6455
- 6, T. Kaur, S. Kumar & A. K. Singh, , 2015, Shear wave propagation in vertically heterogeneous viscoelastic layer over a micropolar elastic half-space,, Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures,DOI: 10.1080/15376494.2015.1124948, Taylor & Francis, 3.517, : 1537-6494
- 7, V. Sharma, S. Kumar, 2015, Effects of liquid loadings on Lamb waves in context of size dependent couple stress theory., Journal of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics.53 (4): 925-934, Polish Society of Theoretical and Allied Mechanics, 0.831, 1429-2955
- 8, V. Sharma, S. Kumar, , 2016, Influence of microstructure, heterogeneity and internal friction on SH waves propagation in a viscoelastic layer overlying a couple stress substrate , Structural Engineering and Mechanics 57(4): 703-716 (SCI, Techno press, 2.984, 1225-4568
- 9, T. Kaur, S. Kumar & A. K. Singh, 2016, Dynamic response of moving load on a micropolar half-space with irregularity,, Applied Mathematical Modelling 40 (5-6): 3535-3549. Impact factor: 2.251)., Elsevier, 3.633, 0307-904X
- 10, T. Kaur, S. Kumar & A. K. Singh, 2016, Effect of reinforcement, gravity and liquid loading on Rayleigh-type wave propagation, Meccanica,DOI 10.1007/s11012-016-0379-1, published online Feb, 2016, Springer, 2.153, 0025-6455
- 11, T. Kaur, A. K. Singh, A. Chattopadhyay & S.Kumar , 2016, Dynamic response of normal moving load on an irregular fiber-reinforced half-space, Journal of Vibration and Control ,22 (1): 77-88., SAGE , 2.169, 1077-5463
- 12, T. Kaur, S. Kumar & A. K. Singh, 2016, Influence of imperfectly bonded micropolar elastic half-space with non-homogeneous viscoelastic layer on propagation behavior of shear wave, Waves in Random and Complex Media,http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17455030.2016.1185191, Taylor and Francis, 3.33, 1745-5030
- 13. , T. Kaur, S. Kumar & A. K. Singh Mrigank Chaki, 2016, Moving load response on the stresses produced in an irregular microstretch substrate,, Structural Engineering and Mechanics, Techno Press, 2.984, 1225-4568
- 14, Vikas. Sharma, S. Kumar, 2018, Dispersion of Rayleigh Waves in a Microstructural Couple Stress Substrate Loaded with Liquid Layer Under the Effects of Gravity, ARCHIVES OF ACOUSTICS,Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 11–20 (2018), Polish academy of sciences , 1.120
- 15, Richa Goyal, Satish Kumar, Vikas Sharma, 2018, MICROSTRUCTURAL CONSIDERATIONS ON SH-WAVE PROPAGATION IN A PIEZOELECTRIC LAYERED STRUCTURE, Journal of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics,56, 4, pp. 993-1004, Polish Society of Theoretical and Allied Mechanics, 0.831, 993-1004
- 16, Richa Goyal, Satish Kumar, Vikas Sharma, 2018, A size-dependent micropolar-piezoelectric layered structure for the analysis of love wave, Waves in Random and Complex Media’, 30(3):544–561, 2018,, Taylor and Francis , 3.33
- 17, Vanita sharma, Satish kumar, 2019, MODELLING OF LOVETYPE WAVES IN AN ELASTIC LAYER SANDWICHED BETWEEN VISCOUS LIQUID HALF SPACE AND SIZE DEPENDENT COUPLE STRESS SUBSTRATE, JOURNAL OF THEORETICAL AND APPLIED MECHANICS,57, 1009- 1019, Polish Society of Theoretical and Allied Mechanics, 0.831, 1009- 1019
- 18, Richa Goyal, Satish kumar, 2019, Dispersion of Love waves in size-dependent substrate containing finite piezoelectric and viscoelastic layers. , International Journal of Mechanics and Materials in Design15, 767–790 (2019)., Springer, 3.480, 767-790
- 19, Richa Goyal, Satish kumar, 2019, Quantifying viscoelastic, piezoelectric and couple stress effects on Lovetype wave propagation, Smart Materials and Structures, IOP Sciences, 3.543, 105021 (12pp)
- 20, Vanita Sharma, Satish Kumar, 2019, Microstructural and viscous liquid loading effects on the propagation of love waves in a piezomagnetic layered structure, Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures, Taylor and Francis, 3.517
- 21, Vanita Sharma, Satish Kumar, 2020, Caliberating length scale parameter and micropolarity on transference of Love-type waves in composite of CoFe2O4 and Aluminium-Epoxy laden with Newtonian liquid, AIMS Mathematics, Volume 5, Issue 3, 1820–1842.,0.882, ISSN 2473-6988
- 22, Vanita Sharma, Satish Kumar, 2020, Analysis of size dependency on Love-type wave propagation in a functionally graded piezoelectric smart material, Mathematics and Mechanics of Solids, 25(8), 1517-1533, SAGE, 2.04
- 23. Vanita Sharma, Satish Kumar, 2020, Comparative study of micro-scale size effects on mechanical coupling factors and SH-wave propagation in functionally graded piezoelectric/piezomagnetic structures, Waves in Random and Complex Media, 10.1080/17455030.2020.1851068, Taylor and Francis, 3.33
- 24, Vanita Sharma, Satish Kumar, 2020, BleusteinGulyaev wave in a nonlocal piezoelectric layered structure, Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures, DOI:10.1080/15376494.2020.1854907, Taylor and Francis, 3.517,
- 25, Sharma, V., Goyal, R. & Kumar, S., 2020, Love waves in a layer with void pores over a microstructural couple stress substrate with corrugated boundary surfaces, Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering 42, 194, Springer, 1.755
- 26, Richa goyal, Satish kumar, 2021, Estimating the effects of imperfect bonding and size-dependency on Love-type wave propagation in functionally graded orthotropic material under the influence of initial stress, Mechanics of Materials, 155,2021,103772,ISSN 0167-6636,, Elsevier, 2.993
- J. N. Sharma, S. Kumar, Y. D. Sharma, (2009) Effect of micropolarity, microstretch and relaxation times on Rayleigh surface waves in thermoelastic solids. International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics. 5: 17-38 (Non SCI Journal).
- S. Kumar, (2013) Rayleigh type surface waves in a microstrech thermoelastic solid cylinder. International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics. 9(11): 87 – 106 (Non SCI Journal).
Deion of Research Interests
Satish kumar sharma’s research intrestes are in wave propagation in elastic solids, size dependent elasticity. He has been awarded research project from DST. He has guided 3 Ph.D. students and 6 M.Sc. students.